ASK: 1 minute
- Health care providers should ASK all patients 12 or over about tobacco use status at every visit.
- Implement a system in your clinic that ensures that tobacco-use status is obtained and documented at every patient visit (EMR, sticker, stamp).
- To make asking about tobacco use easy, give your patient this easy to complete questionnaire.
- Make it a vital sign or make use of an alternative universal identification system that can serve as a reminder to continue the conversation.
- Make sure that you congratulate those who do not use tobacco.
- If patient is a tobacco user, continue to ADVISE.
ADVISE: 1 minute
- Use clear, strong and personalized language to ADVISE all tobacco users to quit.
ASSESS: 1 minute
- Assess (determine and document) readiness and willingness to quit.
- Assess willingness to involve parent/caregiver in quit process.
Assist: 3 minutes +
Arrange: 1 minute
Trained Clinical Staff with Parent/Caregiver Involvement
- Schedule follow-up contact, in person or by telephone, preferably within 15-30 days to check on progress and intervene as needed.
- If quit date has been set, follow up during the week of the quit date.
- If quit date has not been set, follow up within 30 days.
Without Parent/Caregiver Involvement
- Make a candid and confidential call to adolescent on quit date.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment within 30 days.