Intra-treatment social support
Encourage your patients in their quit attempts. Let them know that:
- Effective tobacco dependence treatments are now available.
- Half of all the people who have ever smoked have now quit.
Communicate your belief in your patient's ability to quit.
- Ask how your patient feels about quitting.
- Directly express concern and willingness to help.
- Be open to expressions of fears of quitting, difficulties experienced and ambivalent feelings.
Encourage your patient to talk about the quitting process. Ask about the:
- Reasons the patient wants to quit.
- Concerns or worries about quitting.
- Success the patient has achieved.
- Difficulties encountered while quitting.